Flyleaf/2010

Introduction...

So this blog is about pretty much what I love doing in my spare time-going to gigs! From the atmosphere to the band itself, all of it makes it one of my favourite things to do. From the age of 14 I’ve been going to concerts but it wasn’t until 2010 I started to capture them as well. It all started in April 2010 when I went to see my favourite band at the time Flyleaf at the 02 Academy in Islington when I realised how much I enjoyed taking photographs of the band. From then onwards up to the present I haven’t gone to one gig without my camera. No I haven’t had a Photographers pass or anything, I simply work from the crowd and find spots to take photos from, let this be the very edge of the stage to queuing around 6 hours before the gig begins (Flyleaf). Also all of my shots have been on the trusted little digital camera and not on my Digital SLR (Nikon D40) as without a Photographers pass, most venues check bags and you are normally not allowed to take them in with you, hence why I only use my small digital one as it’s never failed to get inside of a gig. From wherever I am, from sitting rows back in the 20,000 capacity filled 02 Arena in London to being up and front row of a smaller venue I am sure to be spending the majority of the time Photographing.
I personally much prefer smaller venues such as the HMV Forum, Islington Academy or the Relentless Garage rather than the bigger venues and especially standing (which I do everything to get tickets for) because for me I find it a lot more personal and direct and has such a better atmosphere, also you can get right up and close to the bands performing. Having said this, this does exclude festivals, both Download and Sonisphere I attended in Summer 2011 where I go for the atmosphere rather than the photographing as it is that so much bigger and also harder to get any kind of decent shot, although a few Flyleaf ones (I saw them a second time on a day trip to Download in 2010) came out quite nicely, but then again I did make it almost to the front.
A lot of things are put together to make a good image in this field and the majority of the time you will take hundreds and only be able to pick a few of the shots which come out reasonable. This could be due to the lighting, the band members themselves (if they move around a lot) and the pure positioning of you in comparison to the acts.
Enough of the lecture I’ll get down to business and upload some of my work. Note: All pictures are non-professional and are taken from the crowd.
Hope you enjoy J

Yours Truely
Emily-x-Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment